I admit it – I was a marketer without a newsletter. Hang my head in shame… I produce newsletters for clients all the time, why didn’t I have one. I could say it was simply a case of the cobbler’s kids needing shoes, but if I was to be honest, I’d have to admit that it was also fear.
Fear? What is frightening about a newsletter you ask?
- The commitment to writing one monthly? – Nah, I write a LOT – one little newsletter won’t hurt me, besides when you have guest writers and encourage others to share their ideas – it becomes simple.
- The cost to maintain? – Nah, newsletters are fairly low cost if you write them yourself or re-purpose content. And programs like Constant Contact make it super easy to create a simple newsletter.
I was afraid of “junk” – or, more specifically of “block sender” or “mark sender as junk”. I just could not let my company, my brand possibly be associated with junk. I get up to 10 newsletters a day, but only a few do I open, let alone read. I had to examine my phobia and figure out what was going on. I realized that part of me was still taking the “no” in the sales process personally. I was astounded! Me? Someone who preaches “No thank you” never left a bruise was afraid of a nameless, faceless filing process? How ridiculous was that? It was time to get over myself and fast.
I reminded myself that I only have control over what I do as a business owner. Yes I believe wholeheartedly in managing customer perceptions, but I do that through myself – not through others. I have control over what I create.
I Control the Content
- I can choose to make it relevant and interesting. I know my readers and my ideal client inside out and backwards. I know what their pain is, what their needs and questions are. I know how to answer those needs.
I Control the Writing Style
- I can choose to put myself into that content and let my beliefs, my opinions and my personality shine through. Although Pibworth is an agency full of individuals, it is me that is the face of the agency. It is me that the clients had their first connection with – their first conversation with. In a large part, they chose to work with me – they know like and trust me. I do not have to hide behind “marketing speak”. I can be real.
I am Allowed to Have Fun
- Anyone who knows me knows I love wine and food. As a former trainer and manager at Ontario Wineries Hillebrand and Peller Estates, how can I not? The love of flavour just gets into your being, your very soul and never lets you go. Wine, and particularly Canadian wine is a passion and a part of who I am. I have lead wine tastings all over North America for fun and for profit. I do it in an informal style that (i believe) helps break the “snob syndrome” that exists. So, if I love wine, and people talk to me about it and ask my opinions about it – why wouldn’t I put it in my newsletter? But – your newsletter is about marketing and branding and business technologies – wine does not belong… Hogwash I say! Remember – I control the writing style. I can be real – and the real me loves a spicy Cabernet Sauvignon along with ripe strawberries dipped in black pepper. So sue me! I bet if you try it you will like it too.
So, why am I airing my dirty laundry and baring my soul in a blog? Because I know there are those of you out there who feel exactly as I did. You are afraid of rejection too, and I’m here to say “Get over it“! If you know your audience, and your brand promise lives on creating value and delivering the best possible service and product – then you do not have to be afraid. Create! Enjoy! Let your inner sparkle come out and while you are at it – share information that your readers WANT to know. That is all we need. Don’t your clients deserve it? Mine did!